This weekend was full of fun times-
We froze at a baseball game.
Got severely fried by the summer sun.
And survived the dangers paddle boarding.
Really, it was fun.
The company was the best and this was the type of weekend I’d just like to hit a ‘repeat’ button and do again.
Friday was the baseball game where the temperature dropped and people actually were wearing winter hats and gloves.
It was also Polish Night at the game which means we got to watch a traditional Polish dance show.
And sing the national anthem of Poland.
Saturday was a total blast – we made a big breakfast and then hit the beach.
We (and I mean all four of us) did not think to use sunscreen because the day started off a bit chilly therefore it is impossible to get any type of burn….. (right?)
I actually spent the first hour underneath a blanket – yeah, I was that person:
Eventually, I shed the towel and we all enjoyed the day in the sand.
The boys played cornhole like 354 times.
Us girls layed out (aka BURNT OUR BODIES).
I people watched. (OK- I really just watched babies and toddlers because they are so darn cute in their little sunhats and attempts to eat sand.)
Paddle boards were rented and paddled around (which is a total blast by the way- do it!).
Drinks and snacks were consumed.
From the beach (and before we realized how truly burnt we were), we met Mr. Speedy’s friend and all went out to eat at Vinsetta Garage.
This place is a little gem in metro-Detroit so naturally, our out-of-town guests had to eat there!
After dinner we all went home and reazlied we were severly burnt, had to rush out and buy Aloe (and Twizzlers because they make everything better), and take turns applying goops of it all over our bodies. All of us blamed each other for not putting sunscreen on. Our tan lines are horrific.
Sunday the boys got up early to go watch NASCAR, and us girls had a relaxing day together.
First – mimosas and brunch!
Second- we toured Meadowbrook Hall.
I love this historic home and you can throw events here. I tried convincing Brosef-in-law’s girlfriend that she should probably just get married here… I would help plan it. I think I convinced her… to never tour a historical home again with me.
After our cultural activity, we learned that her flight got cancelled and decided to cook a fabulous meal for our men.
We both like scallops but had never tried cooking them… so we gave it a whirl.
And it was FANTASTIC. If you like scallops, you’ll love this:
Ricotta Lemon Pasta with Seared Scallops and Sugar Snap Peas
What you need:
- 1 package of pasta (whatever kind you prefer)
- 1 lb of sea scallops (I counted on 4-5 scallops per person)
- olive oil
- 1 Tbls. butter
- 2 lemons
- 1 package of sugar snap peas (or regular peas, or whatever veggie you prefer)
- Thyme, Basil, sea salt, pepper
- 1 container of ricotta cheese (I used part-skim)
1. Cook the pasta (while it is cooking, move on to step two). When finished, set aside in a bowl, but toss with some olive oil so it doesn’t get clumpy and sticky.
2. Rinse scallops and pat dry. Sprinkle with pepper, olive oil, and some lemon juice.
3. In a large skillet on high heat, heat up some olive oil and butter until foamy.
4. Place scallops in skillet, single layer. Squeeze a bit more lemon juice on top if you want. Cook, turning once, and until brown on outside… about 2 minutes (these cook very fast!).
5.Remove scallops and set aside.
6. In large pot over low heat, heat up lemon juice from at least one lemon, about 3 Tbl. olive oil, a hefty scoop of Thyme, Basil, and dashes of pepper, salt. Add sugar snap peas and let simmer for a few minutes. Toss in the pasta and mix. Add the ricotta cheese and mix gently until everything is evenly coated.
7. Pour pasta/snap pea mixture into a serving dish. Top with scallops and serve!
Us girls really set the mode for the post-NASCAR dinner, pulling on the candlesticks and wine glasses:
After our feast of seafood, we all settled in and watched a 3D movie which is the only time it is socially acceptable to wear shades indoors and if you are like me, wear your regular glasses under the shades. Yep, I felt like a real winner wearing two sets of glasses.
All in all, I loved everything about this weekend !
What was your favorite thing about this weekend??? Burning my bellybutton was a highlight but drinking mimosas and having a girly brunch was probably my favorite thing!