Mr. Speedy’s two nieces will be flower girls and his nephew will be a ring bearer in our wedding.
Originally, we were not planning on having children involved but there are many reasons why having tiny tots is a good idea.
I have to thank my Mother for being the one that really swayed my opinion (I SECRETLY THINK SHE WANTS GRANDBABIES SOONER THAN SHE LETS ON) and I have to thank Mr. Speedy’s sister, the Jazzercise-Hair-Dresser-Awesome mother, who graciously is loaning her children to me.
A few may argue against having children involved, for these reasons:
- They might flip-out during their role: You know what? That is okay because I just might puke, faint, and have a melt down at some point too. Let’s all flip-out!
- Children are annoying: You are annoying. Not getting my hair to stay in place is annoying. Life can be annoying, get over it.
- Costs: Buying their outfits and/or accessories might involve additional budgeting, but luckily children’s clothes are WAY cheaper than adults.
- Adult-only Reception: The only kids at our reception will be these little ones. That might open up hurt feelings towards other people that want to bring their kids…. but sorry. I can only give out so many plates of chicken fingers and these kids will be like mini-celebrities at our wedding, so they deserve it.
But, I think the reasons to have children greatly out-weigh the above list.
REASONS TO HAVE CHILDREN IN YOUR WEDDING PARTY
1. They take really funny pictures:
Holiday card from a few years back…. I just think it is perfect-
Here is a more recent picture, taken as they started their long car ride from Nebraska to Michigan to visit us:
Aren’t they just the cutest?
2. Children are a reminder of the simple things in life – they don’t get stressed or worried or concerned with little things. Weddings are very formal and generally, involve a lot of hustle and bustle for adults. But if we think like a kid, all the stress kind of evaporates.
3. They are cute. Can we just take a moment to appreciate this preview of tiny Lillyan in her flower girl outfit? Thank you.
4. They help symbolize that a wedding is about family and the future. Mr. Speedy and I are forming our own, brand spankin’ new family together. One day, hopefully, that will involve children. Getting married is the first step.
5. They allow you to involve and honor family members of the children (such as the parents, grandparents, etc.) This is an epic meeting of people- Mr. Speedy’s family will be there, my family, so let’s honor everyone and show off the youngest members of the family.
6. They do unpredictable, adorable things that make you smile.
7. Excellent dancers. All social events that I have been to that have music and children, the children really get out there and dance. Yes, their dance moves just might be twirling and running in a serpentine fashion, but they are out there at least. Many adults do not take a step near the dance floor. You gotta love kids for getting out there and busting some moves.
8. They will eat the cake. Kids will eat the cake. No regrets. No excuses. Many adults will say no to cake or complain if it is not perfect. Not a kid- they see cake, they eat it, and they move on with their day.
9. They are the closest kids to us. I don’t mean that in a literal geographic way, but in a family way – these three little tots are our only nieces and nephews.
10. Did I mention the cute-factor? I have a theory- children actually look far cuter in adult clothes, rather than adults. Seriously.
Getting married is exciting because not only do I gain a wonderful husband-love-of-my-life-man-partner…. and parents, sisters, a brother… but also I become an AUNT to these little mini-balls of fun. I am so exciting to be a REAL aunt. I am excited that they will have a little memory of when their Uncle in Michigan got married to their Aunt Lily and how there was cake, dancing, and feathers.
And I am excited for one day, having children so these kids will have some cousins to play with and see at holidays.